May 18, 2010

THE MAKEUP SHOW NY (2010) - DAY 2

Hello my Lovely Readers...I'm back with details from Day 2 of The Makeup Show in New York!  After being awake until 4:30am uploading pictures and writing my blog post after Day 1  I was exhausted. I slept longer than planned but still arrived at The Makeup Show in time to have a full and exciting day. Without further delay here's my rundown of events:

The Main Floor of Metropolitan Pavillon was packed! There were people everywhere...all the vendors looked very busy. I've been coming to The Makeup Show since it's inception in 2005 and each year the Show just gets better and better. Unfortunately I missed the Main Floor Seminar, "The Bulletproof Bride: Durable Bridal Makeup" being presented by the incredibly knowledgeable, Kevin James Bennett of Make Up For Ever. I was early for the presentation by the lovely and gifted Ms. Valerie P. Hernandez for Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics though.
Valerie's presentation was also on Bridal Beauty so I did get some helpful tips for my bridal clients.  See below for a few pics of the products used and the final results. I'll be doing a separate beauty blog review of Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics in the near future.  It's the Rolls Royce of mineral makeup lines.
During her presentation Valerie used a product from the new, soon to be "phenome" cosmetic line, Mai Couture.  I featured the line in my blog post from Day 1 of The Makeup Show. Thought it was smart to add to my kit while they were in New York so went back to their booth to buy another blush color. I"m totally in love with their Face Papiers! I had to take a picture with the President of the company, Mai Tran (I'm wearing the Blush Papier in "Uptown"). A full Product Review of this line will be posted soon folks!

The Makeup Show is a great place to bump into the "who's who" in the Beauty Industry.  I was walking by the L'Oreal Paris booth when I ran into their Celebrity Hair Stylist, Mr. Johnny LaVoy.  I know Johnny from my days of taking Makeup classes at The Powder Group (TPG).  Everyone associated with TPG has really grown over the past few years. Proud to say I'm a Powder Group alum!

Next on my list of cosmetic companies to visit was Obessive Compulsive Cosmetics (O.C.C.). If you're a long-time fan of "Karen's World of Beauty "blog then you know who David Klasfield is and how terrific  O.C.C. products are.  In addition to being an incredibly talented and brilliant Artist, David is one of the kindest, most generous and laid-back person I know.
His innovative product, Lip Tars, have taken the Fashion and Beauty world by storm since their introduction during Fashion Week in Feb 2009 (see my previous post/review of Lip Tars).  Even more colors have been added to the already amazing lineup. I'll be posting an updated Review of the Lip Tars including swatches shortly.

I then headed off to participate in TPG Pro members-only event, "Portfolio and Website Review" with Michael DeVellis.  In this session The Powder Group Founder Michael DeVellis, discusses the two most important ways of promoting your work; your online presence and your print portfolio. It was extremely informative and I'm happy to say my portfolio was one of the "good" examples. Michael has known me since I first started doing makeup professional so to have him compliment my work and my advancement in the makeup field felt really, really rewarding. I've made so many sacrifices for my craft it's good to know that it hasn't been in vain.
I also ran into James Vincent -  Celebrity Makeup Artist, TPG Presenter and Director of Artisty for "On Makeup" magazine. James has played a vital role in my development as a professional Makeup Artist. He was the first Artist I ever assisted on a professional photo shoot and helped me learn what it takes to be the Key Makeup Artist for a fashion show. I love him to death!!!!

Back to the Main floor I made my final loop around the  vendors. I was looking for a replacement for my cream foundation palette but since Cinema Secrets (one of my favs) wasn't there I decided to check out Graftobian.  They had some really great palettes too but since I only needed to replace 1 or 2 colors I didn't buy anything. Now I'm regretting that I didn't just buy 2 or 3 new palettes. They were really nice.
I swatched colors from three palettes, from Top to Bottom: Warm Palette #3, Cool Palette #2 and Specialty Neutral Palette

Another newbie beauty brand that I discovered at The Makeup Show was BFR-Beauty For Real.  I didn't get a chance to swatch their lip products since the Show was ending but I really love the innovation of the line and the colors looked gorgeous. I'm including a pic of the display so you can get an visual idea of what I'm talking about. I'll be doing further investigation on this line so stay tuned.

And for those curious folks out there, here's picture of my haul of beauty products from Day 2 at The Makeup Show:

Everyone was packing up to go home so that ended my spending spree/review of The Makeup Show. I hope you Readers enjoyed taking this voyage with me. Until next year my friends!

5 comments:

  1. Some great stuff here!! :-) Will have to try some of it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting comment. Let me know how it turns out if you purchase some of my suggested products. Have to tell you the Mai Couture Face Papiers are AMAZING!

    FYI - I'm going to have a special giveaway later this week to celebrate my beauty blog's one year anniversary so stay tuned!

    Karen (aka MakUpDiva)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome are the blush papiers?!

    I wish I'd gotten more cause they're bound to get used up quickly.

    The OCC lip tar shades are so cool but I don't know how to use them Do you have any tips for their application?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The key to using OCC lip tars is to use extremely tiny amount on lip brush. If you apply product straight from tube onto your lips it will be too much and make a mess. I also like to prep my lips with alittle lip balm, blot and then blot with a tissue before applying.

    The Lip Tars go on like a gloss but dry down to a matte finish that lasts all day. I've used them when doing makeup on actresses for tv and also on myself at beach - they really do last!

    I'm going to be doing post of newer Lip Tar colors and will demo how to apply very soon. Keep the questions & comments coming! Thanks!

    Karen (aka MakUpDiva)

    ReplyDelete